CSO 02-003 TERMS OF REFERENCE: TRAINING
- These terms are an amplification of CATO 11-36 Terms of Reference, Annex S Terms of Reference Commanding Officer of a Cadet Corps.
- These terms are partially derived from the standing orders in place throughout the 1990s, although they have been completely revised to ensure that the Corps runs fully on the Regimental model.
Aim – The aim of these terms is as follows:
- To provide notice on and regularity in, the duties of all Corps personnel; and
- To ensure that the corps fully functions on the Regimental model in all activities.
Deviations from Normal Rank Employment – Deviations from normal rank employment shall be avoided, but are in practice at times unavoidable. The DCO shall regularly observe deviations from normal rank employment, including the amount of variance, the number of variances within the Corps, and probable reasons for variance. Reference should be made to CSO 02 – 006 – Adult Staff Membership and Advancement and CSO 02 – 007 – Cadet and NCO Enrolment and Advancement to determine needs for members by position.
Normal Rank Employment: Capt
Responsible to: CO
Responsive to: DCO
Directly Supervises: CI/Trg Coord, Ops O, Team Coaches, DSM
The Trg O is responsible to the CO for the effective training of all cadets and subordinate Cadet Instructors within the Corps. The Trg O follows in seniority after the CO and DCO, regardless of rank, although command is always vested with the senior officer present. The Trg O is the officer-in-charge of the Training Headquarters and supervises all personnel in the corps’ training system. The Trg O is vested, when the CO or DCO are absent or unavailable, with the CO’s signing authority in all non- financial training matters. The Trg O is additionally responsible to take on the role of the CO if the CO or DCO are absent. Specifically, the Trg O is responsible for:
- Writing and implementing the annual Unit Training Plan, IAW the QSP and Regional guidance;
- Managing and providing overall direction with regard to all training activity within the corps, including acting as the supervisory officer within the training headquarters;
- Ensuring the scheduling of all corps training, both on exercises and on parade nights, IAW UTP, QSP, and IG;
- Ensuring the regular supervision, evaluation, and training of instructors;
- Keeping updated training records on all corps members, and establishing procedures to ensure the input of all training data into the Fortress training system;
- Providing advice on all training matters to the CO;
- Acting as the senior recommending authority for CSTC and training prioritization to the Commanding Officer, and compiling the corps’ CSTC merit list;
- Acting as the senior recommending authority for promotions and appointments for all personnel less those personnel reporting directly to the Commanding Officer, and compiling regular promotion eligibility lists;
- Regular control of all garrison activity and routine and coordination of the same with Headquarters Squadron;
- Overall control of exercise planning, and management of exercise planning to ensure compliance with National, Regional, and Local guidance;
- Regular control of training activity on exercise training;
- Management of RDA participation, directed optional training, optional training, and corps teams, including but not limited to marksmanship, biathlon, band, and precision drill programming; and
- Any other duties as assigned by the Commanding Officer or Deputy Commanding Officer.
Normal Rank Employment: MWO
Responsible to: Trg O, RSM
Responsive to: Stds O, Crse Os
Directly Supervises: Standards NCO, Course Warrant Officers
The DSM is responsible to the Trg O for supervision of training within the corps, including all cadet NCO instructors and trainees. The DSM is additionally responsible as the Standards Sergeant Major of the Corps. Specifically, the DSM is responsible for:
- Ensuring high standards of dress, drill, and instruction among all subordinate NCOs;
- Ensuring the appropriate delivery of Star Level courses and supplementary instruction, including both adherence to the IG and QSP and instructional quality;
- Supervising and supporting Course Warrant Officers and senior cadet instructors in the execution of their duties;
- Providing expertise on the planning and conduct of classes to NCO instructor staff;
- Planning and providing advice on the planning of corps mandatory training nights and exercises in conjunction with the Training Officer;
- Advising the Trg O and RSM on how training policies and activities are affecting the morale of training cadets;
- Acting as the primary open-door advisor to Junior Non-Commissioned Officers;
- Acting as a senior disciplinarian within the corps;
- Ensuring high standards of drill, dress, and deportment during training activities; and
- Any other duties as assigned by the Trg O or RSM.
Normal Rank Employment: Lieutenant
Responsible to: Trg O
Responsive to: DCO
Directly Supervises: Crse O, Stds O, Instrs (Through Crse O when assigned)
The CI is responsible to the Trg O for the effective delivery of training. The CI delivers and ensures high quality program training in the field by demonstrating a high quality of instruction, assisting other instructors with alternate methods of instruction (AMI), concurrent activities, training aids, use of the Qualification Standard Plan (QSP) and Instructional Guide (IG) and evaluating and supporting instruction. As Training Coordinator, the Chief Instructor is also responsible to assist with the duties of the Trg O, including preparation of the annual Cadet Unit Training Plan (CUTP) and the weekly training schedule. Specifically, the CI/Trg Coord is responsible for:
- As Training Coordinator:
- Assisting with writing and implementing the annual Unit Training Plan;
- Assisting with the scheduling of all corps training, both on exercises and on parade nights;
- Acting under the direction of the Training Officer and in coordination with the Standards Officer, to ensure the regular supervision, evaluation, and training of instructors;
- As Chief Instructor
- Developing a thorough understanding of instruction, including AMIs, concurrent activities, training aids, QSP and IG usage, and ;
- Providing support on all training matters to other instructors in the corps;
- Other duties as assigned by the Training Officer.
Reversion: Trg O